Thursday, December 16, 2010

Doer of the Word

Today I read:  In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; 
   in the morning I lay my requests before you 
   and wait expectantly. (Psalm 5:3)

And then I said:
Well, not always.

And so, I have made the first and possibly only New Year's Resolution. (Okay, before I go anywhere, go ahead and insert all of my ranting and raving about how most resolutions are never kept..) But, in all truthfulness, this is a resolve that I need to have, starting now and ending never.

I need to become a doer of the Word.  Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:22). I need to get over whatever it is that allows me to apathetically sift through my Bible and ignore the commands and charges that lie within. I am missing out on a huge chunk spiritually by not challenging myself to DO the Word of God.

Will you join me? I am going to commit to memorizing Scripture. I am not going to limit myself or number how many I memorize. The goal is simply to put my nose to the grind and start knowing God's Word by heart. Secondly, it is to take what is memorized and live it out. That's a huge claim in Psalm 5:3. Laying my requests before God? Easy peasy. Waiting in expectation, fully knowing that God has a reply of some sort? Not so much.

Are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment