Monday, December 13, 2010

Sacred and the Secular



My best friend and I were talking theology recently. The last movie we went to see was Tangled. Now I can hear you all laughing and snickering at my choice of movies to watch, but hear me out. 

There's nothing more exciting to me than going into a movie, expecting a laugh, and walking away with tears on my cheeks because I found the redemption story in another movie. 

What is it about movies that have good and evil with good triumphing that draws us so much? Simple. That's our story. We are wedged in between the pages of Acts and Revelation. We are living in that time frame. The first church has long been gone, but we are before the end times. So what kind of story are we writing? 

We are writing the plot, dialog, and character development before the ending. Why aren't we writing the ending? Because we know it! In the end, Jesus and His followers stand upon victory, and the Enemy is the loser. We get the option of fighting for the side that we already know has won.

So why did I tear up at a children's movie? Every time I find myself watching a movie such as Tangled, I begin looking for the Biblical parallels. There are times when it can seem like a stretch, but there are other times when it isn't much effort to see how it tells the story of sacrifice, redemption, and victory for Christ's followers. 

When is the last time that the story of redemption brought you to tears? What does your redemption story look like? Do you object to movies considered secular, music considered secular? Are you the sort that accepts the spiritual within the secular and discards the lies?


No comments:

Post a Comment